Call for entries
Part of Artists’ Books and the Medical Humanities event organised by The University of Kent and The University of New England and supported by The Wellcome Trust.
Exhibition to be held at Beaney Art Museum, Canterbury, April 21st – August 15, 2016
Deadline for submissions: midnight January 15, 2016
About exhibition: Prescriptions is a juried exhibition of book art to supplement Martha Hall’s exhibition of works as part of Artists’ Books and the Medical Humanities symposium and workshop, organised by University of Kent and University of New England. Hall’s books, created from 1998 until her death in 2003, document her experiences with breast cancer and her interactions with the medical community. The symposium, which will launch the exhibition, will explore connections between artists’ books, health/illness and medicine from interdisciplinary perspectives. It will include invited keynote presentations, panels, a poetry reading, an exhibition tour and a documentary screening that features Hall.
Submissions of artists’ books for the juried exhibition may respond to the following themes:
- The cultural, spiritual and metaphorical associations between the book as a form and idea
- and the body/mind
- Cutting and stitching in surgery and bookmaking
- Art as medicine/medicine as art
- Relation of artists’ books to visual arts, performance and poetry
- Artists’ books as illness narratives
- The textual, the physical and the digital in artists’ books and medicine
- Artists’ books, empathy and an ethics of touch
- Breast cancer and women’s health activism
- Artists’ books and women’s artistic practices
- Educational value of artists’ books/ health archives
- Artists’ books, intimacy and mindfulness
Submission process: Artists are invited to submit images before the deadline of January 15th. Shortlisted artists will be notified by February 1st. They will be asked to deliver their works before the deadline of February 15th. Selected artists will have an opportunity to donate their works to the collection of Beaney Art Museum. The cost of shipping works to and from the gallery is the responsibility of the artist.