The Wellcome Trust have a very exciting job opportunity in their Humanities and Social Science Department, details of which can be found below:
Society and Ethics Portfolio Development Manager
The Wellcome Trust is a global charitable foundation dedicated to improving health by supporting bright minds in science, the humanities and social sciences, and public engagement.
We believe this can only be achieved if advances in biomedical research are accompanied by advances in our understanding of the cultural and historical contexts of medicine, health and wellbeing. Only with an understanding of those contexts can we address the social, political and ethical challenges that are raised by the global burden of illness, disease and health disparity. To that end, the department of Humanities and Social Science oversees the Wellcome Trust’s multi-million pound portfolio of research grants in the humanities, social sciences, and bioethics.
The Wellcome Trust has recently greatly increased the amount of funding available for research in the social sciences and bioethics and we’re looking for a leading thinker and researcher in the field to lead the strategic development of this part of our grants portfolio as it expands over the coming years.
This role will involve:
· Leading the development of the Society and Ethics portfolio through the stewardship of high quality grant applications from social science and bioethics academics and scholars whose research visions best align with the Wellcome Trust’s mission.
· Working with the Head of Humanities and Social Science to manage an annual grants budget of c.£15m (from 2015)
· Spearheading the implementation of new grants programmes, including Seed Grants and Collaborative Awards in Society & Ethics.
· Being the Wellcome Trust’s key ambassador to the social science and bioethics academy and other stakeholders, such as other funding bodies, government, and industry.
· Being a global advocate for the importance of the social sciences and bioethics in the health research agenda.
To be successful, you will need to have:
· A PhD in a subject relevant to the Society and Ethics funding stream (for example: bioethics, sociology, anthropology, law, economics, etc.)
· Experience of strategic planning, implementation and assessment of complex research projects.
· An unfailing ability to convey, in any medium, the importance and significance of the social sciences and bioethics to the Wellcome Trust’s vision.
We offer a salary of c. £48,000 per annum (depending on experience) plus excellent benefits.
To apply, submit a CV and a covering letter explaining how you meet the criteria for this post. For more information and to apply online, visit: wellcome.ac.uk/jobs
Application deadline: 20 February 2015
Interviews: week commencing 9 March 2015