18th-19th November 2010
The Hopkins Room, Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, Stratford, London E15 1EL
Organised by: Charlotte Cooper, Bethan Evans and Shirlene Badger
Registration is now closed but further details of the seminar series (and presentations from previous seminars can be found at: http://www.dur.ac.uk/geography/research/researchprojects/fat_studies_and_health_at_every_size/).
Confirmed speakers and titles include:
Keynote: Sondra Solovay, San Francisco Law School, attorney and fat activist
‘Fat Panic and the Real Epidemic’
- Stacy Bias, Fat & Body Image Activist & Campus Speaker, Portland: ‘Event based activism: creating community through art and adventure’
- Dr Hannele Harjunen, University of Jyväskylä: ‘Travelling concepts: when fat studies came to Finland’
- Kay Hyatt, Big Bum Jumble, London: ‘DIY Fat Activism and The Big Bum Jumble’
- Dr Samantha Murray, Macquarie University: ‘This Fat Girl’s Getting Back in the Water: (Re)Thinking dialogue between fat scholarship and activism’
- Kim Singleton, University of Liverpool: ‘Gluttons for punishment: the perverse practices of social inclusion’
- Caroline Walters, University of Exeter: ”Padded kink’: a critique of visual representations of fat BDSM’
- Dr Rachel White, University of Westminster: ‘No Fat Future? The uses of anti-social queer theory for fat activism’
- Mike Wyeld, Bears Against Bigotry: ‘Bears Against Bigotry Pecha Kucha’
We will be screening a short film, and presenting A Fat Queer and Trans Timeline for discussion. Please note: you can use the hashtag #esrcfatstudies if you Tweet the seminar.