The Life of Breath Project is pleased to announce ‘Arts of Breath’, a series of lecture-performances exploring the role of breath in poetry, fiction, singing, dance and visual art. All events will take place in Durham. For more information see individual event pages below, or contact Sarah McLusky.
- Wed 15 Nov 2017: Breath, Pulse and Measure in 20th Century American Poetry with Prof David Fuller
- Wed 29 Nov 2017: Visualising the Ephemeral: Breath in Visual Art with artist Jayne Wilton
- Wed 17 Jan 2018: Breath in Vocal Technique* with classical singing teacher Miranda Wright, Durham Cathedral Prior’s Hall
- Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7.30pm: Breath in Choral Singing* with Julian Wright & The Durham Singers, North Road Methodist Church
- Wed 7 Feb 2018: ‘Listen your way in / with the mouth’: the Poetry of Paul Celan with Prof David Fuller
- Wed 21 Feb 2018: Beckett, the Breath, and the Choreographic with Prof Susan Jones
- Wed 14 Mar 2018: Breath in Fiction and Poetry with author and poet Michael Symmons Roberts
All events are free and everyone is welcome. Most are 6.15pm in ER142, Elvet Riverside, New Elvet, Durham (except *)
The programme launches on Wed 15 November with Prof David Fuller examining Charles Olson’s breath-related theories of poetic structure and how these ideas were taken up by other poets, including William Carlos Williams. To celebrate the launch, this first event will be followed by a drinks reception, which all attendees are welcome to attend.
The featured image is a detail from ‘The Birth of Venus’ by Sandro Botticelli