A consortium of the Science Museum Group Museums, BT Archives, the RGS-IBG and the Royal Society has been awarded eighteen AHRC-funded Collaborative Doctoral studentships over three years. The Science Museum, in particular, is interested in proposals concerning the history of medicine and medical anthropology relating to:
- Sites of scientific research and their material culture: the country house, the laboratory, the asylum, the field, including industry and psychiatric research and care centres
- Perspectives on material cultures of non-western science and medicine
- Women in science, technology, engineering and medical workplaces
- History of Medicine:
- Changing understandings of the body and their impact on diagnosis and care.
- Manifestations of changing patient-practitioner power relations in material medical culture
If you are interested in submitting a proposal and would like to discuss how it might fit with the museum’s research priorities please email Oisin Wall.